The calibration of CGMS-WOFOST and CGMS-LINGRA for new crops and recalibration for the crops already simulated in CGMS are performed with different data sets.
The four data sets currently available are:
- CGMS data sets: the internal tables of crop calendars and crop parameters already present in the system which are updated during calibration.
- Crop-KUL DB which is a DB of crop parameters (Kc coefficients included) made in 1997 with the KUL University.
- MOCA (Monograph on Candidate Countries) DB which collects the most recent crop data on new Member States. This DB was released in 2003.
- PASK (Pasture Knowledge base) DB which collects the most recent pasture data on new Member States. This DB was released in 2003.
The data are available at climate grid resolution.
|Crop||DB sources EU15||DB Sources EU25||Type||MODEL|
|Winter (Soft) Wheat||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Spring Barley||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Winter Rape seed||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Grain maize||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Sugar beet||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Potato||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Sunflower||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Durum wheat||See winter wheat||See winter wheat||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Winter Barley||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. and MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rye||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Oat||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Spring Rape seed||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Field beans||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Field Peas||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Soy Bean||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rice||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||No data available||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rye Grass||LINGRA & PASK DB||PASK DB||Recalibration||LINGRA|
|Alfalfa||PASK DB||PASK DB||Calibration||LINGRA|
|Tomato||No data available||No data available||Calibration||CGMS SYTEM|
The calibration consist in the following subtasks:
- Consistency check of the datasets (area of interest, make decisions how to calibrate the models and which part of the DBs to exploit).
- Coherent recalibration from EU15 to EU25 with the results of the consistency check of the existing crops.
- Calibration of new crops at EU25 level. This includes verifications of the consistency of the CGMS output by runnin simulations up to level 3 in order to verify the output obtained using the new crop parameters.
- Validation with sub data sets.
The calibration and the validation can be done according to one of the following strategy/approaches based on the data availability:
- Strong: Based on complete sets of crop parameters from experimental fields.
- Medium: Based exploiting as much as possible the crop parameters data available in the DBs.
- Light: Based on TSUM derived from CGMS level 1 and basic crop calendars. As the information of crop start-emergence/flowering/end-of-maturity at grid level are the basic information available in the system, the main tables which are analyzed are the WEATHER_OBS_GRID and the WEATHER_OBS_GRID_LTA to relate meteo data with calendar day to calculate crop TSUM.