The calibration of CGMS-WOFOST and CGMS-LINGRA for new crops and recalibration for the crops already simulated in CGMS are performed with different data sets.
The four data sets currently available are:
- CGMS data sets: the internal tables of crop calendars and crop parameters already present in the system which are updated during calibration.
- Crop-KUL DB which is a DB of crop parameters (Kc coefficients included) made in 1997 with the KUL University.
- MOCA (Monograph on Candidate Countries) DB which collects the most recent crop data on new Member States. This DB was released in 2003.
- PASK (Pasture Knowledge base) DB which collects the most recent pasture data on new Member States. This DB was released in 2003.
The data are available at climate grid resolution.
|Crop||DB sources EU15||DB Sources EU25||Type||MODEL|
|Winter (Soft) Wheat||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Spring Barley||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Winter Rape seed||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Grain maize||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Sugar beet||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Potato||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Sunflower||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Recalibration||WOFOST|
|Durum wheat||See winter wheat||See winter wheat||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Winter Barley||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. and MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rye||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Oat||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Spring Rape seed||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||CGMS/KUL Univ. & MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Field beans||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Field Peas||No data available||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Soy Bean||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||MOCA DB||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rice||CGMS/KUL-Univ. DB||No data available||Calibration||WOFOST|
|Rye Grass||LINGRA & PASK DB||PASK DB||Recalibration||LINGRA|
|Alfalfa||PASK DB||PASK DB||Calibration||LINGRA|
|Tomato||No data available||No data available||Calibration||CGMS SYTEM|
The calibration consist in the following subtasks:
- Check of the consistency of the different data sets available on the same area of interest. This will imply decisions on the way to calibrate the model (see below) and which part of the DBs exploit.
- Re-calibration from EU15 to EU25 coherently with the results of the consistency check of the existing crops.
- Calibration of new crops at EU25 level. This includes verifications of the consistency of the CGMS output. This implies that CGMS simulations will have to run (up to level 3 included) in order to verify the output obtained using the new crop parameters.
- Validation with sub data sets.
The calibration and the validation can be done according to one of the following strategy/approaches based on the data availability:
- Strong: Based on complete sets of crop parameters from experimental fields
- Medium: Based exploiting as much as possible the crop parameters data available in the DBs
- Light: Based on TSUM derived from CGMS level 1 and basic crop calendars. As the information of crop start-emergence/flowering/end-of-maturity at grid level are the basic information available in MARS, the main tables which should be analyzed are the GRID_WEATHER and the LONG_TERM_AVERAGE_GRID_WEATHER to relate meteo data with calendar day to calculate crop TSUM.